Wednesday, August 15, 2007

My Horrible Dell Story

Now I never thought of Dell as a bad company before or anything. Sure I will admit their shipping can take a little long, since when I ordered my computer from them it took about two or so weeks. But I thought nothing of it...at least not till now.

Since my laptop finally gave died on me in July I decided it was about time I got a new one. Around July 9th or 10th I went on the Dell website and placed an order for a lovely 2gig ram green laptop. I was totally excited! The order was processed by July 11th and I was expected to get my laptop by July 30th. Now I knew the wait was a little long, but hell, for a good quality laptop why not wait.

I headed off to San Diego and got back July 30th. All excited I called my mom (This was where the laptop was to ship since I did not want to miss it in all my traveling) and I was sad to find out my laptop never arrived. I decided to wait till the next day to see if it may just be late and if not I would give Dell a call.

So the next day rolls around and no laptop. Of course I began to worry and with that I gave Dell a call. I got a woman on the phone and I told her how my laptop did not arrive. She looked into it and at first she said it was back ordered, which surprised me. Since when I placed the order in the first place it was still in stock. I told her to look into it again. Then she said Oh wait, its not in back order after all. At this point I was really getting confused on what was going on. She went ahead to tell me that "She did not know what was happening with my laptop" After being put on hold one more time she goes ahead to tell me that yes, it really is in back order and they have to order it from Kentucky or some place like that and it would not arrive till mid August!! I went ahead to tell her this was unacceptable. I was never informed of any delays, I was never informed of any backorder, I just sat there like a moron waiting for my laptop to come in. She said there was going to be an email sent out to explain this situation (And A note that to date I never got this email). Now to also inform you I was being put on and off hold for a good 15 or more minutes while she phoned around trying to figure out what was happening with my laptop. How well organized... I guess my saying its unexceptable comment got to her, because she started to tell me how its back to school and yadda yadda yadda. But a good business would know what if you have promotions on the web and on tv you have to be ready for a very possitive reponse. Saying you did not expect this to happen is just silly. And to top off our conversation she said to get more information I would have to talk to a different department for more straight answers, she was just plain old customer support, and everyone knows that customer support and internet order customer support are two different things. Thanks a lot,she could have told me this at the beginning and I would not have to waste what was getting close to half an hour or her rambling and confusion.

Finally she was kind enough to connect me to the right department and I talked to a genteman named Harry. I explained my situation and at first he seemed understanding. I told him I was not willing to wait till mid August for my laptop since I was never informated of any delays and I was not being treated properly. I went ahead to telling him that if I did not have my laptop by August 8th I would call one more time and if that call it was to cancel my order. He told me not to worry, he said "Don't worry don't worry. I will make sure you have it by then!" I was pleased. He was the one taking care of my order and he assured me I would have my laptop, sounds like everything was going to be okay. August 8th was acutally the day before I was to head off to Chicago and no laptop to be seen. I thought since it was the long weekend that week and monday was a holiday I would just give them time. I was about to leave for Chicago and no need my laptop anyways.

So I return home from Chicago on monday. And guess what...NO LAPTOP! Boy, I sure was not surprised. I decited to give Dell another call. I reached Harry again and he asked how I got his extention. I was a little surprised and I told him he gave it to me. Then I asked about my laptop. And here is the kicker...THEY CANCELED IT WITHOUT MY SAY SO!!!!!! No email, no phone call, no nothing. Was I upset? OH YA I WAS! I just asked for the manager. Guess what!? I got the voice mail, once again I was not surprised.

So here I am, waiting for a call from the manager. Or more like about to place another call to the manager. I want to explain my situation to make sure it does not happen to anyone else. The service I recived has been the most unorganized and unpleasuent to date.

Would I recomment Dell to any of my friends or family? NOPE!
Would I say that you recomment Dell to any of your friends or family? NOPE!

Who knows it could be someone you know that something like this happens to next. I just rather prevent it before it happens, or finally have Dell learn how to run their company and how to treat their customers properly.

In the end, I guess Apple just got a new customer.

On a side note, I know for sure there are spelling errors in this and I'm sorry for that ahead of time :)

1 comment:

jester said...

wow That is some crazy crap. That is one of the worst C.S. stories I have heard in a while. Im actually in need of a new computer. I guess they are not getting my business either...